With the growing population, the parish moved to a larger complex in 1957. The Archdiocese of St. Louis begin talks of tearing down the old church complex.
In 1958 a group was formed to save the complex. The Friends of Old St. Ferdinand was presented with a deed of the property from the Archdiocese for the cost of $1.00.
A fire in 1966 caused extensive damage to the rectory but a restoration was undertaken immediately. Another fire in 1976 destroyed a brick building at the rear of the church, which was the last of those erected by the Sisters of Loretto. In 1979 the complex was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
In 1988, with the canonization of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, it was designated Old St. Ferdinand Shrine by the Archdiocese of St. Louis
Today, the Shrine continues to be a place for the community providing tours & rental space for events, meetings, and retreats